Thursday, November 13, 2008

Whew ... where do I start?!

Addison and her favorite caregiver

Today has been a very emotional day for everyone. This morning we got to visit with Addison for a little while in between running around to apply for her passport and then to pick it up. As crazy as it sounds, I was really nervous for our afternoon trip to the baby home, because I knew it was going to be hard ... really hard.

Hard for us to take Addison from the only place she knows.

Hard for us to take Addison from the only people she knows.

Hard for us to imagine how her caregivers must be feeling as they lose Addison from their care.

Hard for us to imagine how Addison will feel after leaving the baby home with these two crazy Americans talking another language and feeding her food she isn't used to.

We got to the baby home and met the director for the first time. She was so sweet and we gave her a gift that we bought for her. She was very grateful that we are adopting Addison and she essentially meant that if it weren't for us, then she may not have ever been adopted. I got teary eyed and then we went to visit the social worker to give her a gift, and she told us the same thing as the director and I got teary eyed again. Then we went up to Addison's grouppa (aka: her "family unit"). There were four caregivers there and yes, her favorite caregiver was there. We gave each of the caregivers gifts that we bought for them and they thanked us. Our translator told us that we could get Addison dressed in the clothes that we brought for her, so we did. Good grief ... that really made her look like Payton! LOL.

There is another family that we know that is adopting a little boy from Addison's grouppa. We had court the same day and they also had their 10-day waiting period waived, as their little boy has a heart defect. They had left the room to change him and all a sudden he came flying through the door to show his friends his new digs ... a Nike warm-up suit. It was so cute! He was so proud and so happy ... it was so fun to watch his reaction, since he is old enough to know what it means to have new things (he is almost four years old). That alone almost made me cry. LOL.

So both of our families joined the caregivers in another room and they were already crying. I lost it, Kyle lost it, our translator lost it ... we all just cried. How could you stand there and watch this and not lose it? Seriously. I know they are so happy that these kids now have families, but their hearts are also aching. I promised them that we would send lots of pictures so that they can rest assured that Addison is doing great and that she is in a great place. I know the "not knowing what happens" is the hardest part for them. It would be for me too.

Before we left, we let Addison's favorite caregiver have her time with her ... she was so sweet. She has given her entire soul to our child and I just hugged her and we cried. What a special lady.

It was time to say goodbye and all the caregivers were there. The one in red that is holding Addison is her favorite caregiver and the one to the left in green in the physical therapist that had told us she was giving Addison lots of massages ...
We are emotionally drained and we are headed for Moscow tonight ...

32 comments:

SunflowerStories said...

My eyes are watering just rading this and seeing all the love Addison has in her life. Travel safely and swiftly!

SunflowerStories said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leah Spring said...

Oh man...seeing all the crying faces makes me cry. What a wonderful life Addison has had so far. At least, as good as it could be for a child in Russia who has no family. Addison knows what it feels like to be loved. She's a step ahead of so many other orphans who've never known love. Many many prayers for safe travel.

Christina said...

Oh Bethany, I'm teary too LOL!

I'm so happy for you guys - it has been wonderful watching this journey!

(btw, I *love* the google translator you put on the page!)

Shay said...

crying again!!!

Christina said...

Oh Bethany, you've got me crying over here! I am so happy for you guys! I can't wait till the other kids get to meet her! How exciting!

Anonymous said...

I'm crying too! I've enjoyed reading about your journey and love all of your details. Addison is GORGEOUS!!!
Wendy

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! As with the other notes I was teary eyed as well-I cannot imagine the emotions you all were experiencing. Addison is so cute!!! We wish you all safe travels. Hopefully we will be able to meet Addison and you guys one day. I belong to the No. VA Down Syndrome group. Ethan just turned a year old last wednesday. Nicole Mills

datri said...

I'm crying, too! Addison is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I'm in pieces! Thanks a lot, Bethany! lol! Tears of joy but also tears for the lovely people there who have been so good to Addison! I can't wait to see photos of her at home! And yes, I'll be in bits then as well!

Lu

gillian said...

Joining in with my tears. What a wonderful thing for that little girl to have received so much love from her care givers. What a wonderful thing for those care givers to get to be loved by her. Thanks for sharing all of this with us.

Continued prayers.

amyl4 said...

I'm so happy that Addison has had so many people in her life that love her. What a blessed little girl to now have a family that loves her too! Congratulations again on your sweet little girl!
Amy

Unknown said...

Now I'm in tears and I can't imagine being in the room. Have a safe trip to Moscow and home...we will be praying for you.

Michelle said...

The water faucet is on again....tears running down my face. I really have to stop reading the updates at work:) It sounds like a beautiful, yet emotional, day. I hope you are enjoying your first night together and have safe travels to Moscow. Continued prayers for the entire family.

Megan said...

{{Hugs}} I hope your journey home is safe and easy.

Rachel Dominguez said...

My tear are streaming..joy for you guys and sorrow for the staff at the childrens home. What an emotional day that had to be.

I love Addison's hair and outfit...she looks simply adorable and I'm sure she will settle in just fine with your family!

I am so excited to see family photo's when you return home.

Rachel

heidi marie said...

i can't imagine hoe emotional the day must have been for everyone. i'm tearing up fromjust reading about it. safe travels and i can't wai for payton and mason to meet their new sister!

Brigitte said...

Tears here as well!! Thank you Bethany for sharing your journey with us! She is such a lucky little girl to have you and also her caregivers who love her so much!!

orphans4me said...

How can a post be so heart-warming and heart-wrenching at the same time! I am so glad you have your daughter and so glad for all the love she has experienced so far.
Joy,RR

Carmen said...

Bawling Bawling Bawling!!!

Anonymous said...

Sitting here crying like a baby!!! How awful and wonderful at the same time. Many prayers for safe travel.

Ann (Annieo)

Anonymous said...

ahh its finally real-our new little cousin! I'm soo excited.The boys are excited too..Have a safe trip. It will be soo nice to travel with her---enjoy it! Next time you travel anywhere you will have 3 kids in the back!!!ha ha love you guys Natalia

Anonymous said...

Crying over here in RI. I couldn't wait to get home from work to check for an update. I am SO happy for all of you. I can't wait to meet her. Lots of love from me and my whole family!!!

Love, Lisa (DanielsMommy)

Kris Delaney said...

Oh my. I am crying right along with ya'll! I am so thankful for your blog and all that you've shared. I can really see that this is an amazing home and that the caregivers are doing such good work. God bless them! Give that Addison a big smootch from me :) Have a very safe trip home!!

Becca said...

At least this time I'm not crying at work--home is a much better place for it.

Kim said...

Oh Bethany! We are so happy for you and your family. I could just cry reading about Addison's departure from the Baby home, and the picture at the top is so tender and beautiful. Bittersweet for her caregiver, I know; but imagine what her departure would have been if it had been to an institution. I am so glad you are giving this dear, dear baby a home and family. What a beautiful life.
--Kim

Anonymous said...

Congrats on yet another successfully completed step in your journey to bring Addison home! Our prayers continue for a safe trip back for all three of you! Can't wait to see our new granddaughter!
Love,
Mason, Payton and Addison's Grandpa and Grandma Bosman

alicia said...

im in the edge of crying here

thank you for sharing your journey and for inspiring us and blessing us

hugs, cant wait to read more

Janine said...

you got me crying too!! What a sweet moment to remember forever. Addison will always know how much she was loved. What a wonderful gift!

Anonymous said...

Wow I'm crying too! Tears of joy for you, but I can also shed tears of emotion for the caregivers too. How wonderful to know Addison was taken such good care of and loved so much the first 2 years of her life. They gave her a wonderful start. I know you and Kyle will pick up and continue the unconditional love! What a beautiful and touching story!
-Meegs

Cheri said...

Oh man.....tears just pouring....what an emotional day for everyone. I read this post to my 7 year old son who happened to be sitting next to me and as I started crying...he started crying too. He then said, "Mom we need to adopt a baby too".

Wow, what a journey you are on! We are praying for safe travels and a smooth transition. Addison is absolutely adorable!

Cheri and my choked up 7 year old, Luke :)

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Awww I am seriously bawling here!!! What an emotional day! But oh man, I can't WAIT until you get home with her!