Saturday, September 27, 2008

Saying Goodbye

We got to spend just two hours with Addison this morning. I was a mess going into it ... and Kyle and I both were messes going out of it. We both cried and tried not to look at each other so as to not make the other cry more. The caregiver quickly took Addison from us {to make it easier, I suppose} and told us {translated from Russian} not to cry, that we would be back before we know it. While we know that is true, it is still so very hard.

We had a great visit with Addison, but the two hours we had seemed like five minutes. Addison has a cold and I think it is getting worse. My mommy instinct just wants to get her better NOW, but alas I will have the rest of her life to get her better. I'm determined to learn some Russian, because her receptive language {in Russian} is incredible ... you can just see the difference in her face when they talk to her in Russian ... it is so cute! If anyone has any good tips for learning key phrases quick, let me know! LOL.

I never imagined in my entire life that we would make this kind of connection with a child after just three days. I think it is because she reminds us so much of Payton ... and obviously our love for Payton it so strong it makes our hearts hurt. Many people are afraid of adoption because they are not sure if they could love a child that isn't theirs the same way that they do their own. I have been curious as to how I would feel once we were put in the situation, but I now know that we are living proof that it is one in the same. Becoming the parents of a child that has no mommy or daddy ... a child that just wants to be loved by a family ... being able to do that is an incredible feeling.

Until next time ...

10 comments:

datri said...

I'm crying along with you guys! You'll be back before you know it and Addison will be yours forever.

Christina said...

Man, I got tears in my eyes just imagining it! Listen two words for learning a foreign language. Rosetta Stone. Expensive program, worth the cost! It's amazing!

Anonymous said...

Ok, me too.Crying along with you all! I hope the time passes quickly until you can be with your daughter again.

orange1986 said...

I can only imagine the sadness of leaving Addison.But I know you were asking about how to learn some russian.I liked the Russian Phrases forDummies book it breaks down the pronouciation to make it really simple and the book itself is rather inexpensive.Hope this helps and hope you get to see Addison again VERY soon!
One you can say is,
Ya Tibya Lublu (Ya Tipb-ya La-lublue)
It means I love you.

markay714 said...

Theresa Kelleher CD's. I'd been doing Rosetta Stone, but this is better for the last minute phrases that really matter - food, bathroom, I love you, family stuff....really geared towards adoption.

Guess you'll be home just as I'm heading over - but I'm leaving directly for my region as soon as we get there anyway.

May your wait be short, and I do know how you feel. My son bawled when I left, and that was VERY hard!

Our Story: Continued said...

I can't imagine how hard that must have been! DJ and I are so proud of you and so inspired by you guys (obviously)! I am praying for you guys continuously. I will pray for this time away from her will go by fast and you will have her in your arms and in your home for forever really soon!! Here's a big ole' cyber hug for you and Kyle!! Love you guys!

Kerry Shealy said...

I teared up, too, just reading your blog...I feel so bad for you. What a tough day! I'm sorry you have to leave her behind...for now.
Kerry RR

Janine said...

Your post brought tears to my eyes too. It is very hard to leave but oh so sweet to return! And what an amazing experience it is.

I too really wanted to learn russian for my daughter. My hubby and I tried the Rosetta Stone. I couldn't pick it up very well. On the other hand I did notice that my daughter picked up English very fast. I'm guessing it's from being emerged in the new language.

Teach Me to Be Still said...

Hello! I found you through the IAG Yahoo! group. We adopted our little one with IAG in 2004. Now my brother and his wife are adopting with IAG--praise God! (Thanks for responding to my post BTW :-)

I used Teresa Kelleher's CD series for learning Russian before adopting our daughter. I loved, loved, loved it. It is written for adoptive parents so it's phrases and words you would want to use with a child plus greetings, etc (ie. are you hungry? I love you? Don't cry--it's OK. etc). I tried many other Russian CD's and I had a hard time "hearing" all the sounds. Since Teresa is American, you can learn much quicker listening to her pronounce words (and apparently she has good pronunciation because our translator said my pronunciation was good). Anyway, I would highly recommend her CD series--we learned so much and our daughter (11 mos) definitely understood a lot of what we were saying. Here is the link: http://worknotes.com/AZ/AdoptingFromRussia/Kelleher/

Blessings,
Laurie G.

Teach Me to Be Still said...

P.S. Rosetta Stone also works well but it's expensive and it doesn't teach the phrases you really need to use with a child. However, great program if you want to learn the language on a broader scope.