Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Our first outing ...

We braved the streets to exchange some money and find some food. The hardest thing about being here is not having a clue what anything says and not being able to communicate with the people. Luckily, we have a translator who is with us during the day, but I think the evenings we will spend alone for the most part. It continues to crack me up that people just walk around with beers in their hands ... young people, at that! Oh, and there are tons of signs out on the sidewalks advertising "dancers", if you know what I mean. Wink wink.

Here is an example of what we see everywhere ... can anyone tell me what that says? LOL.

First we went to the money exchange and the lady did not speak English. That was an interesting conversation! LOL. She gave us all 5000 bills and I was trying to ask her to break them down a little bit ... she broke one down, but that was it. Maybe we'll try again tomorrow.

So then we walked down Nevsky, which is right where our apartment is ... such a great location, but noisy. Again, trying to find a place to eat when we can't read anything is a little hard. We then saw the very familiar star with a smiley face logo {Hardees ... ish}, so we went for it. Except it wasn't called Hardees, it was Carl Jr.'s or something like that. We both got a burger and fries ... I know, we are real rebellious when it comes to trying the cuisine!

Our apartment building ... isn't it beautiful?
Random Russian architecture ...
More Russian architecture ... I love this!A canal that runs down near our apartment ...

20 comments:

JRS said...

((sigh)) jealous! I'll have Mark look at your pics to translate tonight when he gets home unless someone else beats him to it.
---Jen

Kris Delaney said...

How Exciting!!!! We are keeping you in our prayers. Kris

orphans4me said...

I'm so glad you made it. I guess you must have managed to pack those suitcases at some point :) The architecture is beautiful. I hope you have a great time meeting your daughter.
Joy,RR

Kristen said...

Oh, it's just beautiful! Your camera is capturing the lighting wonderfully! Your apartment looks like the plaza! Get some inside pics on here too, k? :-)

Carl's Jr. = Hardees. I had to get used to it being called Hardees once I moved East...I had only known it as Carl's Jr. in California.

Our Story: Continued said...

I am so happy for you guys!! I hope you're sleeping soundly right now!! Keep updating us....I'm thinking nonstop about you guys!! I can't believe you're in Russia?!!?! How crazy is that?!?!?!

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful! I hope everything goes perfectly.

I always wanted to visit Russia. Growing up it was our Cold War enemy so there was always something mysterious and forbidding about it. Take lots of pictures and keep us up to date.

JRS said...

Mark says that picture is just a book store, or 'writer's book store.' Keep snapping the pics! Glad you found some food.
---Jen

Shay said...

I love the pics. Your apartment building looks amazing!!! Keep the pictures coming!!

liesel said...

Gorgeous!

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

Beautiful photographs! I need your camera!

gillian said...

Yea, you made it!

Continued prayers.

I was going to tell you that the picture was a book store but Mark beat me to it.

Tomorrow's the day to meet your daughter. Awesome!!

Janine said...

Yeah!! You've arrived!!! Oh Natasha and Andrei!! I miss them!

Good luck tomorrow! Can't wait to hear all about your little girl!

Carson's Mom said...

Too cool! I don't blame you, I would be looking for something familiar to eat without knowing what anything says. I can't wait to hear about the first time you meet your sweet daughter.

Kayla

Amy Flege said...

looks like a beautiful place!! i am so excited for you i could pee my pants. haha!!!
have fun!

Mellymel said...

Bethany,
I'm glad you made it! Most of the restaurants that we went to (actually all of them) have English menus- all you have to do is try to speak Russian when you walk into a restaurant and they immediately know that you are American and hand you an English menu- they would usually send a waiter over that spoke English also so don't be afraid to eat :-) Can't wait to hear about your first meeting!
Melissa

Anonymous said...

I've got chill bumps. I can't wait till you post pic of your new daughter. Wow.. I can't believe you are able to update us from over there.. I feel like I'm there with you.. Yay!

Amy (southernbelle)

Our Story: Continued said...

AHHHHHHHH!!! I'm ready for another update!!

Anonymous said...

i love Carls Jr!! anmd have ne tw blocks from my house, so we walk very often then just to see a young man with DS who works there :)

and hoping to see the next update with info of Addison....

hugs from Mexico

Jennifer said...

So glad you made it! I can't wait to see the pics of you holding your new daughter! The suspense is killing me!!

Anonymous said...

I know Russian and the sign says "Book Store of Writers" basically book store ;). Your girl looks absolutely beautiful!

Good luck.

Katya, new RR member