I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. ~Mother Teresa
I saw this quote earlier on a blog somewhere and I liked it ... it sort of hit home for me. After giving birth to my daughter, who has Down syndrome, I can't tell you how many times I was told, "God will not give you more than you can handle." I wasn't so sure, but it sort of made me realize that I could do it.
So many people are so afraid of Down syndrome because they are not educated about it. I was not educated about it, but after my daughter was born I had no choice but to rise to the occasion and educate myself. I'm glad I did because my daughter is the best thing that has ever happened to me {not to leave my son out of the picture, but having a special needs child has opened my heart to many new things in this world}.
So seeing this quote sort of made me chuckle because I sort of tend to be more rebellious than most people. I do feel like maybe sometimes God trusts me too much, but I'll take it. I'm willing to be the rebellious one if I can make a difference. I think an example of this is our adoption ... our adoption of a child that has Down syndrome. Our adoption that has so many people saying, "Wow. I can't believe they are doing that. Why are they doing that?"
Down syndrome ... it is a thing that so many people fear could happen to their child. I promise ... it is not the end of the world ... it is not a bad thing, it is a blessing in disguise. I hope that by following our journey you will have the chance to see that my child {soon to be plural} with Down syndrome is just as typical as any other child.
7 comments:
Bethany, I'm just catching up on your last several posts. Sorry, I hadn't realized this is Trip #1 of two trips. I thought this was IT. I know God will be with you ALL the way, both trips.
Joy
This is Sarah's Mom. Now that Sarah has graduated high school and we are moving into the next phase of our journey, I especially can agree with your post today. We have so grown as a couple, a family and the friends that stayed with me through it all. The joys are never ending. Good luck with your trip.
Bethany, I am so very excited for you! (And a little jealous!) You're going to charm the crap outta everyone you meet!! I hope everything goes smoothly and your first visit with your beautiful girl is BETTER than a dream! Good Luck and CONGRATULATIONS!!
A well-written post, Bethany! I've had many of the same thoughts! :)
I like they way you think Bethany!! Can't wait to see pictures of your new little Miss.!
Funny thing- I used to say this all the time when Ethan was sick. People would try to make me feel better by saying "God doesn't give you more than you can handle". Sometimes I spat back with the "Yeah, well...I wish that He wouldn't trust me so much!" It wasn't until later that I found out that Mother Teresa had said the same thing! LOL!
I also love that quote. In fact, I have it on my living room wall right above a huge picture collage of my 4 kids. Never in a million years did I think God would want me to adopt 4 kids. And now He wants us to adopt a child with Ds too. He has quite the sense of humor our God does, lol.
Post a Comment